Sunday, September 7, 2008

Learning to Speak Ugandan

Whenever I’m in another country, I always feel like a jerk because of my lack of language skills. Luckily, while there are over thirty indigenous languages in Uganda (none of which are actually called Ugandan, so sorry if that confused anyone—I was just trying to be cute…), English is the official language and in Kampala most everyone speaks it fluently. Most everyone also knows some basic Swahili which is my one savior from being completely mono-lingual. But it isn’t widely spoken here as it is in Kenya and Tanzania. However, Luganda, which is the language of the Buganda people who are from the Kampala region, is also a sort of a lingua franca for the country so I have big plans to start learning Luganda soon. Or at least learn more than my current vocabulary which consists of webale nyo (thank you very much) and tugende (direct translation means “we go” but it is the universal signal to a boda driver that “yes, I am securely on the back of your motorcycle and you may now feel free to rev your engine and drive away into the sunset.”)

But aside from the actual technical language skills, there are a lot of phrases that are unique to Uganda (though actually many of them are probably just British English as opposed to American English). So there is an adjustment to how I speak or say things, even though I’m still speaking in English. For example, some of my favorite things are pronouncing the letter “z” as “zed.” For some reason I get an inordinate amount of pleasure saying the phrase “a to zed.” I also enjoy the Ugandan way of expressing that they will pick something up, which is “pick it” or “pick you” leaving out the word “up.” For example, if I am telling someone that I will get them at 7, I would say “I will pick you at 7.” I love it! There are also some interesting pronunciation differences like the letter “k.” While most Americans would pronounce the Rwandan capital Kigali exactly as it is spelled, in Uganda, it is pronounced Chee-gali. This confused me when I first arrived as I was traveling to a village called Kiboga and I kept trying to spell it “Chiboga” as it is pronounced, which wasn’t in my guidebook. Oddly, I’ve never heard anyone pronounce Kampala as “Champala”, so I’m not sure how you know when it is the “k” sound and when it is the “ch” sound. Something to figure out…

Anyway, languages are always fascinating to me, so I’m sure you’ll hear much about my trials and tribulations learning to speak Luganda as well as perfecting my Ugandan English. Hopefully I’ll “pick it” quickly!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Courtney,
Just want to say that I LOVE your blog. You're smart, funny, and such a great writer. May I request a post topic? Ok, I want to send you something. I know you probably don't want to (or are unable to) post your address on your blog, but maybe you could write a post about things you want or need (maybe things that you're craving -- other than Dr. Pepper -- that you're unable to procure there)? And if there is anything we should not send you (anything that would be useless or would get you in trouble) that'd be good to know, too.
Love,
Christine

courtneyb said...

Thanks Christine!

There isn't anything that pops to mind (besides DDP, of course), but I'll think it over and let you know...

And I have an address, but it's for work and I haven't figured out how receiving mail works yet. And particularly packages, because there are weird customs issues and you sometimes have to pay taxes on things, etc. I'll look into that and get back to you on that one too...

But in the meantime, thanks for the encouragement and I'm glad you're reading. And know that your blog was definitely part of the encouragement of me keeping this blog in the first place :) So thanks!